Sunday, September 27, 2009

Instruction and Assumptions...

I am reminded of the old saying of what happens when you assume.... but I digress. I believe that we all assume much too often. For me, my assumptions about learning do more with the family home life. I assume that all children can learn, but at the same time, I wonder what their highest capacity for learning is? I assume that parents are involved in their child's life and that they care. I assume that all parents have the capacity to help and that all children will try their best. I assume that all students really aren't bad kids- just a bit misguided. And lastly, I assume too much....
So many things have the ability to shape a child's learning capacity. In my opinion, some of these things include socioeconomic status and whether the child is more concerned with survival, where their next meal is coming from, and where they are sleeping that night rather than reading. Those children's basis of education is extremely street smart. Another thing that I believe shapes a child's learning capacity is their family status- whether or not their parents are together or not, speaking to each other or not, and whether custody agreements are on a solid schedule or not. I believe that a lack of educational support from home can shape a child's learning capacity and when a parent is too busy playing video games to help a child with their homework, how is that child supposed to value an education?
Does a teacher have any influence on these children's learning capacity? Absolutely. As a teacher, you are a constant solid unwavering rock in that child's life. You have the ability to make that child have a great day, believe in themselves and build their confidence, learn extraordinary things, and challenge them to be the best human that they can be. These assumptions about learning can shape their instruction because it's not just about book learning.... in some cases it's about survival. It's about teaching a kindergartener how to call 911 and make themselves something to eat without cooking. It's about making a child feel safe when they are at school and knowing that you are there to listen and be the steady adult in their life. It's about showing these students that you care and it's about building trust with their families so that they feel comfortable, and not threatened, by the educational system when they need somewhere to turn to for help.
As I was reading chapter 3 by Danielson today, I couldn't help but think that I want to be that teacher. After reading this chapter, I sat in awe and had a flood of thoughts about the teacher that I would love to be.... I want to have the ability to arrange for learning rather than teach and design learning activities that coincide with the content, instructional goals, and student interest. I want the classroom that is comfortable and respectful of all students and where learning routines and procedures are handled efficiently. I want my students to look back at me and just not say that she was a 'good' teacher, but one who cared for each individual child. I want the classroom instruction to be motivational and meaningful and the students to be engaged and lastly, I want to engage in the professional responsibilities that make great teachers. I guess you could say that I want it all... the question is, how do you get there? Do you start out in the area of professional responsibilities and learn from those around you on how to gain insight into the other three areas?
My mother, who has taught for over thirty years now, has always told me that whatever school I'm at, no matter the grade level, look for the oldest grayest haired person and make them your best friend. They've been around the block, seen it all, tried all kinds of methods, know how to communicate with colleagues and families, and normally they are an extremely accomplished teacher inside the classroom. They are professional kid watchers and could teach circles around you- learn as much as you can from them. As I read about the professional responsibilities listed by Danielson, her words kept popping into my head and I couldn't help but think, perhaps this is one of the ways you can learn to be that teacher.

3 comments:

  1. Karrie,

    I like how you mentioned that as teachers we are our students rock. I never really thought about this, but no matter how crappy their life outside of school is, we can be that constant unwavering support system that builds them up and encourages them. However, like me you see how much the home life can play either positively or negatively in the child's life. Like you, I would love to be the teacher that Danielson mentioned. As a fairly new teacher I am asking myself the same questions. How do I get there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read through our blogs, I am taken by the fact that most of us are on exactly the same train of thought. We are faced with so many children who do not have the parents that can help them, no matter how badly those parents want to help. We are faced with language barriers, economic barriers, physical barriers, and time barriers. But through all of this, I think we truly reach our children, and I think we really make a difference in their life. Reflecting on things like this make us all realize how much of a difference we do make. Sometimes through the frustration of cluttered pacing guides and curriculum maps, we become discouraged, but then we read and think about the students, and we all realize that we make a difference. To me, this is the reason we get up and go to work each day, to be that students rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that assumptions can be so powerful in the way we interact with our students- and so dangerous. There are so many things that influence our assumptions- many of them you mentioned. I read a wonderful book by Catherine Compton Lilly that totally made me rethink social class and literacy. I think sometimes teachers miss perceive parent's interest in children's education for lack of caring and sometimes it is anything but I agree that assumptions can be damaging for everyone. That said- I think it is great that you are taking that head on and aspire to be a wonderful teacher- we need to have those models wether they are real (like the grey haired teachers in your school) or in a book (like Danielson).

    ReplyDelete